Friday 24 January 2014

I DON'T GET ANY







THE VERDE WORD


The article was driven by a piece of my sister's wisdom.



BACKGROUND

My sister lives in another state which is two flights of approx 3 hours away.  We, my son, his girlfriend and my sister and I met for lunch recently.  We had not seen my sister for approx five or six years.  So naturally, it was an absolute pleasure to see her again. 

With very warm feelings, I will forever remember the lunch and the love I felt between all four of us. Later on when my sister and I sat together on a seat outside the bookshop in the mall and talked, it may seem a simple thing, but it was painful as she spoke of her ill health but beautiful as she spoke of her music.

The memories of that and the lunch will stay with me forever.  And yes Ru, I have remembered the Bach concerto No. 5 in F minor - BWV 1056 for harpsichord, but does it really take eighteen months to get it up to professional standard?






My sister is a brilliant and well known musician.  She is an exponent of Baroque music and plays a number of instruments. However, I will also always remember the practical wisdom she passed to me.

I now share this wisdom with you.


MY SISTERS WISDOM 

During lunch my sister turned to me and whispered to me that I had put on weight.  I agreed 100%.
I replied "Yes I know, I don't get any exercise".  It was not an excuse, just a statement of fact.

And then she said valuable words I will forever remember.

She said "Oh look...you don't 'get' things by expecting them to come to you.  You have to go out and 'get' them yourself.  It is the same for everything, 'Get' does not bring it to you. If you want to 'get' something you have to go and 'get' it yourself."

I am very familiar with this concept and have achieved much by going out and getting things myself.   However, I did not realise that there are some things that we do not go out and 'get'.

We go to the shops and 'get' things, we think about ideas and concepts and we 'get' them but besides these, there are other things that we wait to come to us when in fact, we do indeed have to go out and take deliberate action to 'get' them.

So, what are some of these things I wonder.


MY IDEA

Looking at it from the concept of not getting any exercise I see that some others could be:

    • Money - financial  rewards
    • Sex - sexual health
    • Recognition - artistic or other achievements
    • Love - friends, partners, colleagues
    • Satisfaction - personal recognition, self reward for a job well done
    • Happiness - personal good feelings
    • Peace - quietude


Now, here's the thing.

All of these things; money, sex, recognition, love, satisfaction, happiness and peace are things that we as individuals can not possibly expect to naturally come to us.  At the most, as my sister says, we have to go out and 'get' them.  At the very least, we have to make ourselves open to receiving and accepting them as gifts from the universe.

How do we make ourselves open to receiving them as wonderful gifts?

Firstly, we have to open our minds and heart in readiness and secondly, we have to encourage these gifts.

    • Money - find a new job, ask for a raise, investigate new opportunities or, spend less
    • Sex - take the initiative, find a partner
    • Recognition - allow others to know of your work and achievements
    • Love - we are all loved but sometimes need to show encouragement
    • Satisfaction - this begins with enjoying what you do
    • Happiness - mentally be grateful for your 'lot' and happiness will follow
    • Inner peace - find a place of quietude and find time to walk and meditate


All of these things are up to you.  Think about it, If you feel you don't receive or 'get' things, it could be because you are consciously not encouraging, welcoming and accepting whatever you want into your life.  It is all in your own mind.  You can 'get' it all as long as you are open to receiving.

My sister is right, instead of waiting for things to 'get' or come to you, go out and 'get' them yourself.

Thanks Ru.

Verde








No comments:

Post a Comment